The past couple of weeks have been pretty rough. I haven’t been in the mood to do much of anything, much less read. I’d pick up a book, read a few sentences, and feel completely apathetic and unable to focus.
Even the first-day excitement of Bout of Books didn’t provide its usual boost. Though I didn’t really participate in any chats or challenges throughout the event, Bout of Books encouraged me to keep trying to find something that would stick. Around Wednesday evening, I had a spark of hope.
I started off with some comics, which perked me up a bit. Then I tried the new Rachel Held Evans memoir, figuring it would be a sure winner (it was). A couple more comics, part of a Roald Dahl audiobook, and finally, finally I was able to get past the first page of a novel. So my final list for the week looks like this:
- Alex + Ada (issues 13 and 14) by Jonathan Luna
- Searching for Sunday: Loving, Leaving, and Finding the Church by Rachel Held Evans
- Underwire by Jennifer Hayden
- Gingerbread Girl by Paul Tobin
- several chapters of The BFG audiobook by Roald Dahl (David Walliams is a phenomenal narrator!)
- started reading A God in Ruins by Kate Atkinson
I’m not sure what I think of the Atkinson so far, but hey, I’m ending Bout of Books with my reading mojo back!