No matter the genre or what it’s about…I’ll buy it from these authors!
1. Haruki Murakami – Do I even need to give a reason? If you know me at all, this one is obvious.
2. Aimee Bender – Aimee Bender runs a very close second behind Murakami. I love how imaginative and weird her stories are.
3. Alexander McCall Smith – I’m still catching up on all his backlist but so far, his writing has yet to disappoint. There’s definitely a comfort element here, because I always feel good after reading his books.
4. Emma Donoghue – Every time I’ve read Donoghue, I am completely engrossed in the story. Engrossed as in, ignore my responsibilities and cancel all my plans.
5. Margaret Atwood – I’m a latecomer to the Atwood party, but I’ve been purchasing her books like crazy and enjoying every single one.
6. Susanna Tamaro – This Italian author…sigh. Every sentence is just ravishing, even though she usually writes for a middle grade audience.
8. Rachel Held Evans – Reading her books is like having a friend who can read my mind and help me make sense of the jumbled mess inside. Her writing is such a comfort.
9. Nadia Bolz-Weber – She’s sarcastic and a Lutheran! She’s completely frank, even when it makes people uncomfortable. And she’s hilarious.
10. Jennifer Finney Boylan – Whether she’s writing nonfiction or fiction, Jenny Boylan’s intellect and kind heart shine through in her writing.