Julie at Smiling Shelves is hosting the Newbery Reading Challenge again next year. This will be my first time joining in, so I’m going to keep it simple and aim for the L’Engle level (15-29 points). Medal winners are worth 3 points each, honor books are 2 points each. Full details for this reading challenge can be found here if you’re interested in participating, and a complete list of Medal and Honor Books is listed on the ALA website. I’m hoping to gather up some possibilities for C, now that her independent reading has really taken off.
Books at the top of my list:
- A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L’Engle (1963 medal winner)
- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (2009 medal winner)
- The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (2013 medal winner)
- Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata (2005 medal winner)
- Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson (2015 honor book)
- Inside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai (2012 honor book)
These will all be first-time reads for me. I know, I know, it’s a shame that I never even read A Wrinkle in Time. C and I did start listening to the audiobook a while back, but got distracted by another book after only the first chapter. I definitely want to get back to it! And Brown Girl Dreaming has been on my TBR list for far too long.
Have you read any of the books on my list? What are some of your favorite Newbery books?